Are you making steak for your honey (or yourself) this Valentine’s dinner? Here’s an easy no-fail method, especially if you don’t have a grill.
Andy says it’s the best steak AND meal he’s ever had. Woohoo! :)
2 10 oz. NY Strip Steaks, thicker is better
Salt and pepper
Compound butter (my recipe below), butter or olive oil
¼ C unsalted butter
½ tsp salt
6 cloves, roasted garlic
2 tsp chives, finely chopped
Make into log and roll in wax paper. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Brush steak with olive oil.
- Season steak with plenty of salt and pepper. (Probably a bit more than you think is necessary.)
- Heat a cast iron or oven proof sauté pan until very hot.
- Place steak in skillet and sear on one side (about 2 min), flip, then move pan to pre-heated oven.
- Cook until desired temperature. Depending on thickness, about 5-7 for medium-rare to medium.
- Remove from oven, top with slice of compound butter and let rest for 3-5 minutes.
I’ve also used this method to cook Rib eyes and it would probably work for a few other types of steak you might cook on the grill.