Post #2 from our abundance of tomatoes and basil. Lucky us!
Post #1 – Caprese Salad
Post #3 – Chicken Caprese Grilled Sandwiches
The first recipe was my take on a traditional Caprese Salad. The day after, I wanted a little more green in my salad. We had a bag of arugula and after a bit of scrounging, I found some leftover maple bacon from the weekend. It was a perfect salad.
ARUGULA CAPRESE SALAD WITH MAPLE BACON
2 large handfuls arugula, washed
1 beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes (you could substitute any kind of tomatoes)
2 1/4″ slices, mozzarella
5 basil leaves
2 slices, cooked maple bacon
1/2 C balsamic vinegar
1/2 C brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in small pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 min or until it coats the back of a spoon. Place in bowl, cover, and let cool in refrigerator for 3o min.
2. While the dressing is cooling, place arugula on a large plate. Crumble bacon over leaves.
3. Chop tomatoes into 16 pieces. Slice mozzarella into matchstick shaped pieces. Toss tomatoes and mozzarella over salad.
4. Roll basil leaves together. Slice into thin strips and toss over salad.
5. Drizzle balsamic dressing over salad.
Serves 2 for side dish or 1 for a meal.
The maple bacon adds an element of sweetness to the dish. Depending on your quality of balsamic vinegar and the sweetness you desire, 1/2 C of brown sugar may be too sweet. The “better” your vinegar, the sweeter it is. Adjust the sugar according to the level of sweetness you desire.
Pingback: Mozzarella and Tomatoes – Post #3 – Chicken Caprese Grilled Sandwiches | Ruf Love