When guests are coming over, I pull out all the stops…including a doctored up cake mix 🙂 Ok, really, I’d just been running errands all day and hadn’t started a dessert when they were due to arrive any minute.
I had intended on coming up with a cool lemon and blueberry dessert that didn’t require me turning on the oven. Maybe I should have thought of that earlier in the day. Oops!
It ended up being a perfect summer treat — light and refreshing cake that topped off an evening of blue crab picking. Yummy!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- ½ C freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 C water
- ⅓ C vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ C blueberries
- zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 Tbls freshly squeezed lemon juice
- water, as needed
- Preheat oven according to cake mix directions.
- Grease & flour Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lemon cake mix, ½ C lemon juice, water, oil and eggs.
- Beat mixture on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium and beat batter for 2 min.
- Gently fold in lemon zest and blueberries.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake according to package directions or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely in pan set on wire rack.
- When cake is cool, place serving plate over the top of Bundt pan and flip cake onto plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in water as needed.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.
Adapted from A Bloggable Life.